A Bridge, A Bike, and President Truman



  Imagine meeting a former president while taking a break from a bike ride. Sounds surreal, right? Well, that’s exactly what happened to me.

When I was around 6 to 8 years old, in the mid-1960s, I lived in Independence, MO, just a few blocks west of the Truman Library. One particularly hot day, with the sun blazing and the cicadas buzzing, I was riding my bike and decided to rest in the shade under the 24 Highway bridge near the library. To my surprise, President Harry S. Truman himself walked by.

We had a brief conversation, though I don’t remember the details. It was one of those moments that felt surreal, almost like a scene from a movie. Meeting a former president while taking a break from a bike ride is not something many people can say they’ve experienced. The funny thing is, at that time, I had absolutely no idea who I was walking with or talking to. Can you believe that?

Another reason I often found myself under that bridge was because I had discovered a cafeteria at the University of Missouri extension, located just a little northwest of the Truman Library. The cafeteria was a hidden gem for me. If I looked pathetic enough, the kind coeds would spend a hard-earned nickel on this red-haired, forlorn-looking 6-year-old boy and buy a drop-down cup of hot chocolate from the vending machine. It became a little routine of mine, a way to enjoy a treat and feel a bit special.

On other occasions, I would walk with President Truman until he reached a door at the back of the Truman Library, where he would go inside, and I would continue on to the cafeteria. These walks were brief but memorable. I would split off as he reached the door, feeling a sense of awe and wonder at the man who was going into the back of this huge building that was called a library.

During his presidency, Harry S. Truman was often accompanied by Secret Service agents and bodyguards. This protection was crucial, especially after the assassination attempt on his life in 1950. The Secret Service took extensive measures to ensure his safety, including building a guardhouse and installing a fence around his home in Independence, Missouri.

One notable figure was Mike Westwood, a local policeman who served as Truman’s bodyguard after he left office. Truman’s relationship with his security detail was quite personal; he treated them almost like family. Rex Scouten, an agent who served on Truman’s detail, recalled how Truman would talk to them extensively and never acted superior.

Additionally, during the transition period when Truman became president after Roosevelt’s death, the Secret Service quickly assigned a bodyguard to him, anticipating the need for heightened security.

During my research, I discovered some remarkable photos of President Harry S. Truman walking with a cane around 1968 and 1969. These images confirm that he was still active and provide strong evidence that he continued his walks to the Truman Library during the years when I would have had the chance to walk with him.

Truman had a fall on ice during one of his morning walks about a year after his gall bladder operation in 1954, but fortunately, it had no serious consequences. However, at age 83, he experienced a more severe fall in the bathroom, resulting in two broken ribs, a cut on his forehead, and broken glasses. This fall in the bathroom was the only notable fall he had in the 1960s.

By late 1970, Truman’s health was declining. His morning walks became less brisk and less frequent. He moved more slowly, read less, and was generally less active. He also suffered from recurrent vertigo and arthritis.

Looking back, it seems almost unbelievable, even to me. The idea of casually encountering a former president and sharing a few moments with him feels like a story from another era. Yet, it happened, and it’s a cherished memory from my childhood. It’s a reminder of how extraordinary moments can happen in the most ordinary of settings.

An actual score ago, I contacted the Harry S Truman National Historic Site to verify my memories of President Truman walking to the library during that timeframe. Unfortunately, they were unable to confirm this. They did mention that during this period, President Truman had fallen, which might explain why there are no records of him walking to the library. Despite this, I know in my head and heart that these encounters happened. While there’s no way to verify my story, other than perhaps holding a séance to contact Truman himself 😄😄, I assure you that this is a genuine recollection from my childhood. I share this not to boast, but to reflect on a unique and unexpected experience that has stayed with me over the years.

These memories, though unverified, are a cherished part of my childhood. They remind me that sometimes, the most extraordinary moments happen in the most ordinary settings. If you have a similar story or a cherished memory, I encourage you to share it. Our personal histories are filled with unique experiences that are so worth sharing.

Former President Harry S. Truman, 84, taking his usual morning walk. ca. 1968











President Truman



                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Former President Harry S. Truman (left) takes a walk with Lt. Paul (Mike) Westwood of the Independence Police Department. It is three days until his 85th Birthday. The former President observed his birthday at home where he received some visitors, telegrams, and flowers. May 5, 1969





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Deputy Doug’s Dispatches

A Rodeo to Remember: Meeting Jack Lord, the Legendary Stoney Burke, in Independence

An Unbelievable Journey: A Mother’s Intuition